Monday, March 30, 2015

Flip Journal...

Today I received some great new products from DecoArt, they are from the new media line and gee what a fun time I had.. Some I had never used before so I wanted to try them out on something small. I also received the Code Breaker Stencil from Andy Skinner. Well when I pulled the stencil out of the packaging all I thought of was, wow what a great little flip journal this would make. 



So I left the top part and then divided the longer part into 3. So scored 2 lines and folded. That was it, pretty easy hey. So I then had 8 sections to play with and use the new products that I had ordered. First I painted both sides with white Gesso. For my cover I used the Cobalt Turquoise Hue and Titan Buff Fluid Acrylics mixed together. Then I used the Patina Green Antiquing cream and buffed it with a baby wipe.. Andy Skinner has a great tutorial on how to do this here.  I sealed the Antiquing cream with DecoArt Satin varnish. Collaged some papers and happiness was the word I chose to pop on the cover.  Yep this is filled with happiness I had such fun with this little flip journal

The next page I used the same technique as the cover but I used the white antiquing cream. I used a Kaisercraft stamp and all the papers I used except for book paper and music paper where all Kaisercraft.


So was thinking when I first did this I would just cover up the tabs with paper, but then I thought hmm, they would look good with some paper on the other side.. Then that turned into an opportunity to use the DecoArt crackle glaze. Gee it dried quick. I am a huge fan of crackles and usually have to wait overnight for the other one that I use to dry. But this was dry in no time at all and I was able to continue to play..  

More crackles this time through the Americana Old Script stencil and I used DecoArt White crackle paint. It oozed a bit but hey that is what this little journal is all about trying things out. So I used a bit of the Patina Green antiquing fluid and covered up the edges a bit and I was happier with the look of it then 




Then I used the DecoArt Texture sand paste. I coloured it with the Cobalt Turquoise hue. You only need like a drop and it was such a pretty colour. I just spread it all on with a palette knife. Scraped a few little lines on it and yep that was it. I love the gritty feel of it.  


Next was a background of Primary Magenta and Titan Buff mixed together. I got a really pretty pink colour. I love pink and black so time to use the Black Gesso for the Andy Skinner code Breaker stencil. I had to use the stencil after all that was what started all this.. 

Americana Old French Script stencil for the background in this one with more Media line Black Gesso.


 I had this die cut of the dress form sitting on my desk. It was all done with a french script stamp and book paper so thought that kind of filled this page quite nicely for this side of the flip journal. The background is a dress pattern Prima stamp.
So last page to show was the Andy Skinner stencil making another appearance this time I used some of the Media line, Black Modeling paste.

So what did you think? Did you like my little flip journal. I hope next time you go to throw the packaging away from something you buy you think, hmm could this be my next flip journal?? Oh forgot to show you my palette for all these techniques. What did you use? I can hear you asking me.  

It was the plastic packaging the stencil came in of course. Thinking of ways I am going to reuse this with all the blobs of paint on it.. Yep it will make its way into my art journal somewhere. :)

Linking this up over at Creative Every Day

Have a great day
Sandy :)

2 comments:

  1. The colors you used here are awesome. Each page so lovingly created! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fantastic!! I love how you made a journal of just play play play!!! All these Deco Art Techniques and products are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for the lovely comment..